Saturday, May 8, 2010

Evangelizing Africa - But which Africa?

I live in 'Africa' and once in a while, as is the case now, I come to Europe and North America. In as much as I believe in the importance of evangelism, I think it is very important to understand the state of Christianity and Adventism in Africa relative to Euro-America at the moment. Some of the attitudes that our earlier missionaries had on Africa and Africans might have not affected their work drastically as their times - the colonial times - were different and somehow they could get away with it but I don't think they will now. The times have changed significantly. In so many ways Africa is more Christian now than Euro-America. So there is a strong need to do away with paternalistic attitudes when we go to evangalize in Africa as we might be surprised at how advanced it is spiritually. And when I look at the way so many churches have been closed or turned into shops and clubs here in the UK I can't but agree with someone who once claimed that maybe Africa now need to evangelize Euro-America than the other way round. Anyway, all the best in your mission in Africa and it is my hope and prayer that you will hearken to the calls to understand Africa's context(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment